Runcorn Viaduct

With the Runcorn Viaduct being built back in 1861, a full inspection of the stonework, pointing and de-vegetation works were required for the first seven spans of the bridge.  The seventh span was accessible from the river bank, however to access the first six spans, a suspended access system was designed to extend across the River Mersey.  To achieve this the scaffold was built off brackets which were anchored into the faces of the stone piers and a bridged lattice beam structure spanned beneath the arches.  The scaffold design was completed and signed off in under two weeks to enable early completion of the scheme, before poor weather conditions became a factor.